Social Phobia Ireland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» How Are You Feeling?
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 4:11 am by x_No_Oil_Painting_x

» Facebook Group For Social Phobia Ireland
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 3:14 am by x_No_Oil_Painting_x

» any advice ?
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 3:22 am by padmasana

» Hello from a culshie living in Dublin!!!!!!
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am by padmasana

» keeping fit. running, walking, yoga......
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am by Guest

» Any plans for the summer/holiday etc.???
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 am by Hello23

» your favourite novels/literature.
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm by Guest

» St John's wort
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 am by x_No_Oil_Painting_x

» Merry Christmas
panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 am by Hello23

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 132 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:57 am

panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ???

2 posters

Go down

panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? Empty panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ???

Post by padmasana Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:26 am

hi all,

sooo.... up til about 2 weeks ago ive been doing pretty good, no social anxiety ( i prob got the odd experience, but nothing bad), confidence was up and evrything was goin great. then for some reason i got a panic attack, right out of the blue and ever since then, my life feels completley crap. feel depressed, anxious ( not socially anxious though) and experiencing Depersonalization. my question is - could having a panic attack trigger something ??? that wood start up all these negative tings im going trough atm?? has anyone experienced something like this before ??? im just real curious as to why this shit could start off when i was doing so well.

padmasana

Back to top Go down

panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? Empty Re: panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ???

Post by Guest Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:28 pm

Yes i think you're right - after a panic attack i feel terrible, and i'm always 'on edge'. I also avoid talking to people after having one because i get so paranoid that people know about the anxiety attack that i get embarrassed.

I haven't had a panic attack since i left college, but i'm surely going to have another one on graduation day - big crowds mixed with paranoia usually sets me off.

Back to top Go down

panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ??? Empty Re: panic attack triggering anxiety/depression ???

Post by Carl Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:09 am

hey,first of all congratulations on doing so well for the few weeks, and sorry to hear about the panic attack....what i will say though is try and focus on how well you were doing, rather on that one incident,this is vital,you know you can easily get back to where you were before the panic attack Smile....for what its worth i think the mind is really a creature of habit, and will always try and revert back to what its comfortable with, which in the case of SA is fear and depression...so when you are doing well there will always be moments where you'll feel uncomfortable ,and so the mind will react in whatever way it sees fit to bring you back to a comfort zone...that'd be my guess on where your panic attack came from ..

ive done alot of research and experimentation on this so i'll post a short extract on what i found,hope its of some help

4.1 The fight or flight response
The fight or flight response is a physiological reaction, a stress reaction that evolved out of the survival needs of our early ancestors living with the daily dangers of the time. When in danger, or under attack, the body has two options, to stay and fight, or to flee (flight).

Physiological responses include increased heart rate & accelerated breathing. These physical changes occur rapidly and automatically. However, modern day fears are different and the flight or fight response is no longer an acceptable reaction. You can’t run from the office and you certainly cannot hit your boss. In this case the symptoms, which are increased heart rate and accelerated breathing, are not dealt with and so lead to anxiety.

It is an instinctive response. To prepare the body for a fight, or a sprint from danger, there is a flare up of intense energy which gives strength to the body in order to deal with this fear. However, when there is no real reason to be afraid, when it is just a thought that generates this feeling, then the energy has no outlet. It is then fed back to the mind and generates more anxious thoughts.

4.2 How fear is reinforced when there is no danger.

Taking a panic attack as an example, the body sends out warning signs, the alarm bells begin to ring, however this is in the absence of any physical danger. The danger is just a simulation the mind has created; it does not actually exist and certainly does not exist to the intensity that the mind is making one believe.

The mind cannot distinguish between what is real and what you have simulated, so the fact that you cannot identify this danger adds to the intensity of it. It is the fear of the unknown; if you could identify with the danger then the symptoms would make sense and you could approach it in the appropriate manner. In other words, if you do experience fear it would be because of an actual danger present. However this fear, and hence these symptoms, have been created by your thinking.

Yet, when there is no actual danger and the body still responds with increased heart rate, sweating and rapid breathing, then logically you fear the symptoms as a sign that you are in real danger. The problem here is how do you deal with a danger that you cannot see, a danger that you cannot prepare for? Do you run? If so, what are you running from? Do you stay and fight? Again, what is it you are meant to fight? Neither reaction will get you out of this perceived danger. The fear just follows you and more importantly this fear is reinforced and strengthened by your reaction. Your response only justifies the fear of this imaginary threat. This self-inflicted threat was created by your thoughts which are something that you cannot run from or fight against. This point is very relevant in social phobia.

You can only deal with this fear through an understanding of where it has originated, by having a clear grasp of how it built up to such intensity. With such an understanding you can then acknowledge that it is only a thought and deal with it appropriately.

4.3 When negative emotions become a habit
Normally, negative emotions mean that there is something in your life that needs to be seen to. They show that there is something that you are not dealing with. Negative emotions are useful for motivating the person in moving away from something, which will have a negative impact on their being, fear being an example. Positive emotions can motivate the person to move towards something beneficial.
However, problems arise when the person starts to move towards what they don’t want, to something that will impact their lives negatively, and start to avoid things that would help them. This is when problems such as depression and anxiety arise in a person, when one becomes chronically stuck in a negative emotion, when negative thinking becomes a habit.
The reverse is also a problem when one becomes stuck in a positive state of emotion and cannot express a negative emotion, even when appropriate. An inability to express an appropriate emotion can often result in what is called a ‘nervous breakdown.’ When you cannot express exactly how you feel due to fear of being judged etc, when you repress any emotions which you feel you shouldn’t express, this then builds up and eventually results in an explosion of your tied down emotions, or even a shut down, where the body can no longer function.
So for a healthy mind to exist, an ability to express both positive and negative emotions is needed. But as importantly, for a healthy mind to exist, the dominant emotions experienced should be positive.

4.4 How one gets stuck in a negative pattern
Humans are beings of habit. Habits are routines of behaviour in which no thought is required; it is something that feels comfortable to oneself. It’s only when this habitual behaviour is negative a problem emerges. People do pull themselves out of these habits but when something they may perceive as bad happens in their lives they will always revert back to what feels comfortable, purely because it’s easy. This is brilliantly expressed in a lyric by Kurt Cobain, where the chorus is simply ‘I miss the comfort of being sad.’2
From a logical standpoint this does not make sense, sadness and comfort should never go together. However, so many people live in this state. Being sad becomes an identity, an excuse as to why your life never turned out as it could have, an excuse to your unfulfilled potential. The reasoning behind this is that habits always exist in your comfort zone, so when this habit is negative, even though it may result in extreme unhappiness, it feels natural to embrace it. You live being comfortably unhappy
Habits can be tough to break; this is the reason why so many people just accept where they are and while logically they want to break out of this, for most it feels like too much work. Sometimes they need a disaster to happen in their life to give them the desire to break free from their life crippling habits.
Carl
Carl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down