Social Phobia Ireland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» How Are You Feeling?
My way above SA EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 4:11 am by x_No_Oil_Painting_x

» Facebook Group For Social Phobia Ireland
My way above SA EmptyThu Oct 17, 2013 3:14 am by x_No_Oil_Painting_x

» any advice ?
My way above SA EmptySun Feb 17, 2013 3:22 am by padmasana

» Hello from a culshie living in Dublin!!!!!!
My way above SA EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am by padmasana

» keeping fit. running, walking, yoga......
My way above SA EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 11:29 am by Guest

» Any plans for the summer/holiday etc.???
My way above SA EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 am by Hello23

» your favourite novels/literature.
My way above SA EmptyTue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm by Guest

» St John's wort
My way above SA EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:24 am by x_No_Oil_Painting_x

» Merry Christmas
My way above SA EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 3:54 am by Hello23

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 132 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:57 am

My way above SA

3 posters

Go down

My way above SA Empty My way above SA

Post by Starfox Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:12 am

Hi Guys,

My first real post here, Where do i start, am i have suffered with SA (and gad to a certain point) most of my life, its been a roller coaster of different SA intensities, with the last few years been my worst by far. But im glad to say and rising above it. I think everything comes in cycles, and i think as tough as SA can be too you, you can get past it, with positive attitude and a motivation to do something about it.

i do know that SA is an extremely broad disorder for anyone with it, and its different with everyone but with that said ill tell you what has completely knocked the crap out of my SA, something called Transcendental Meditation. And heres as much info as i can find for you.

TM Programme at a Glance
There is a rich, unbounded field of creativity, energy, and intelligence
within each of us. To the degree we’re able to draw from this inner
field of life, we grow in health, happiness, and success in our outer
life.
Your Unlimited Potential
The Transcendental Meditation technique is a simple, natural procedure
to gain deep rest— and contact that inner reservoir of creativity,
energy and intelligence—to gain its support in all you do and to enrich
your life day by day.

Everyone can learn to practice the Transcendental Meditation technique
successfully. It’s easy and enjoyable—just 20 minutes twice a day
sitting comfortably with the eyes closed. It requires no effort or
concentration, no special skills or change of lifestyle. You don’t even
have to believe that it works! Meditate regularly twice a day and you’ll
get results.

Restful Alertness
During the practice of the Transcendental Meditation technique, the mind
and body settle down to experience a unique state of restful alertness.
As the mind becomes more silent, the body becomes deeply relaxed. At
the most settled state of awareness, the mind transcends all mental
activity to experience the simplest form of awareness, Transcendental
Consciousness.

Scientific research has shown that the experience of Transcendental
Consciousness is correlated with greater creativity, improved learning,
higher IQ, better grades, higher moral reasoning, increased brainwave
coherence, and improved neurological functioning of the body.

The Transcendental Meditation technique is a practical, proven procedure
for developing more energy, creativity, and intelligence—for awakening
the unlimited potential of your mind and body and enjoying greater
health, happiness, and success in life.

Here are You Tubes vids for you to look at

John Hagelin ph.D in consciousness

6 parts to this go to you tube for rest

Film Director David Lynch

Maharishi Mahesh Yogi (the guy who brought TM to the western world)

Hugh Jackman and Howard Stern (on OCD)

Random examples

Are all meditations the same?

You can learn this in ireland there are a few teachers around the
country, waterford, cork, dublin im not sure where else, but look here TM Ireland

How it has worked for me? Well i have lost my anxiety, as in my fear of being around people, its like i really dont care anymore its not a big deal, im far from over SA, i still have the repetitive negative thinking, as in *whats she thinking of me* or *did i say the right things to him before i hung up the phone* *why are they not texting me back* i can go on all day here, i still have awkwardness around people, and i still find it easier to talk to certain people. But this is how i can explain it maybe, TM has calmed me down, slow my racing thoughts, relaxed me, im more coherent, cloudiness has gone, more intellectual, allot calmer in anxious situations, where i would usually freeze up and turn into an uncomfortable awkward guy, into a relaxed guy who says 'pff meh' nothings a big deal. I really cant think of anything else off the top of my head but if youve and Q's fire away, o and i feel like i owe it to whoever to promote TM as much as i am here, its done so much for me, ive a long way to go but im getting there.

Last edited by Starfox on Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:40 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clean it up a bit)

Starfox

Back to top Go down

My way above SA Empty Re: My way above SA

Post by shelley Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:42 am

Hey starfox,

Thanks for the insight. I think we've all been on that rollercoaster as well. I've read a bit about it. I try to take 10mins at work to meditate. I haven't got caught yet. I believe it relaxes defo but u do have to keep at it everyday.
shelley
shelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfox Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:53 am

shelley wrote:Hey starfox,

Thanks for the insight. I think we've all been on that rollercoaster as well. I've read a bit about it. I try to take 10mins at work to meditate. I haven't got caught yet. I believe it relaxes defo but u do have to keep at it everyday.

Every day? Yip! you say it like its a burden lol, i love it, i look forward to it and before i did this i would probably laugh it off. TM has to be done for 20mins x2 a day, you have a mantra (a word given to you) that you repeat over and over again, without thinking about it you just do it, its like a car for you mind keeping it focused on the mantra, but at the same time you dont have to focus to do it its pretty easy, and the more relaxed you get the further you drift into deeper levels of consciousness. And all of any stress inside you comes out, if it flows off you or zaps out of you in a sudden jerk which you might experience when you are just going to bed at night trying to sleep, that jerk is purely stress leaving your body or so ive been told.

Starfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:08 am

Ya i should really start meditating, i have heard pretty positive reviews about it, and my counsellor recommended it to me. My problem is that i can't seem to get to the point where my head is clear of all thoughts - i have sooo many things going through my head at one time, that i find it hard to just stop and relax. In fact i'm not sure i could ever just clear my head of all my thoughts, i'm constantly thinking and over analysing.

So how would i overcome this? Or is it just by practice that i will eventually clear my mind of my thoughts when meditating?

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfox Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:57 am

hmm, well first off dont try, because if your trying then your concentrating and if your concentrating your working your mind, your 'thinking' about it, when your not supposed to Smile

I think if your serious its worth going to a teacher, youll learn so much about it

Last edited by Starfox on Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Starfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Hi Hello22
Meditation is definitely not about clearing your head of all thoughts, but about calming your mind or slowing down your thoughts, so wherever you start from is ok, that's something you can always learn to do!!! If that's a consolation, as far as I know, most people's thoughts are "racing" and going into loops. It's also about awareness of what goes on in your mind. And once you're aware you can change things.
You can start by just doing a few minutes at a time. You can focus on your breath going in and out of your body, and as soon as you catch yourself thinking of something else (probably within a few seconds at the start), just go back to your breath. Try it! But it's better to do a course, especially at first, and I've no doubt that there are lots of teachers in Galway. Hope you give it a go, it's well worth it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:49 am

^ thanks for the advice starfox and catherine, i will look further into the meditation before seriously giving it a go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:27 am

Hi Starfox and Catherine, Could you recommend a teacher in Dublin or a cd maybe? I have tried meditation when I was away travelling but only for a short period.

Hugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfox Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:34 am

Hugo wrote:Hi Starfox and Catherine, Could you recommend a teacher in Dublin or a cd maybe? I have tried meditation when I was away travelling but only for a short period.

Hey Hugo, I found these for you

DUBLIN-BLACKROCK
John Burns
Tel: 01 2790426
E-mail: johnburns@tm-ireland.org

DUBLIN-RATHMINES
(on the canal between Rathmines and Ranelagh Bridges)
Mary Daly and Jack Lyons
Tel: 01 4960762
E-mail: marydaly.jacklyons@tm-ireland.org

DUBLIN-MONKSTOWN
Noel O'Neill
Tel: 01 2845742
E-mail: noeloneill@tm-ireland.org

Judy Kelly and Declan Diver
Tel: 01 2145389 (Judy)
: 087 2903316 (Declan)
E-mail: judyanddeclan@tm-ireland.org

Ann Brennan
Tel: 01 2148422
E-mail: annbrennan@tm-ireland.org

Starfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:43 am

Did you go to one of these teachers starfox? I live north Dublin. Would like to try it once with a teacher then maybe try and practise it myself.

Hugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:35 am

Hi Hugo,
I see that the people Starfox listed are all TM. Personnally I'd avoid TM. No offence to Starfox, this is just my humble opinion. Nothing wrong with their meditation from what I heard (I actually know quite a few people who've gone through them), but I find them too "cultish" and money orientated. I also didn't like their attitude: "our meditation is the "right" one, yours isn't" (that's actually what I was told). All Buddhist centres in Dublin teach meditation (you don't need to be a buddhist, and they don't try to convert you!), there's a Zen centre on the North Side, there are also classes in Oscailt (South Side). They're all good. And all of these would have ongoing drop-in classes that you can go to once you've got some experience. Which is essential I think because you need to keep in touch with other meditators (well, most people do) if you want to keep it up. Really what you need is to try out somewhere and see if it suits you. I tried a couple of places before I found what I wanted. They all have slightly different approaches. Hope this helps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:02 am

Oh I forgot your query re. CDs. You can find free stuff on the Internet. Guided meditations that you can download or Podcasts. Audiodharma (California) is one site where you can find things, Freebuddhistaudio (UK) another, and I'm sure there are lots of others. But I do think it's better to start with a teacher or a class.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hugo Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:16 am

Thanks Catherine, thats a great help. Will def try it out. Will be hard I think to get into it every day.

Hugo

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfox Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:23 am

catherine wrote:Hi Hugo,
I see that the people Starfox listed are all TM. Personnally I'd avoid TM. No offence to Starfox, this is just my humble opinion. Nothing wrong with their meditation from what I heard (I actually know quite a few people who've gone through them), but I find them too "cultish" and money orientated. I also didn't like their attitude: "our meditation is the "right" one, yours isn't" (that's actually what I was told). All Buddhist centres in Dublin teach meditation (you don't need to be a buddhist, and they don't try to convert you!), there's a Zen centre on the North Side, there are also classes in Oscailt (South Side). They're all good. And all of these would have ongoing drop-in classes that you can go to once you've got some experience. Which is essential I think because you need to keep in touch with other meditators (well, most people do) if you want to keep it up. Really what you need is to try out somewhere and see if it suits you. I tried a couple of places before I found what I wanted. They all have slightly different approaches. Hope this helps.

Hi Catherine,

I dont think you can really advise someone about TM on 'your humble opinion' a cult? im not brainwashed lol, money orientated? in the last 2 years alone the price to learn TM has dropped 200% and besides taking time out twice a day to meditate i have a very normal life. I dont know any other type of meditation so im not going to try compare, for all i know is every other form is better than this one, but maybe not, what i can say is its helping me beat SA, something ive struggled with my whole life, and thats why i feel the need to tell people here about it.

Personally i dont really care about all the politics to do with it, i take the gem from it and get on with my life.

Starfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:19 am

Hi Starfox,
I used the word cultish, in inverted commas, never said they were a cult, never said you'd been brainwashed either. And yes, it is my opinion. I felt when I was talking to them that there was too much secrecy around what they taught, not at all the openness of other places I've been to. And as I've said, I know people who have benefited from learning meditation with them. So relax!

Back to top Go down

Post by Starfox Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:29 am

I am relaxed Very Happy lol sorry if i was coming across different, but i hear what your saying, and the TM movement could be mistaken for a cult, or a religion, and sometimes when something offers happiness when money is involved it raises eyebrows, life is all about experiences so maybe you should try it for yourself.

Starfox

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum